According to NBC4i, A group of people had assembled at the Dollar General, 5001 Chatterton Rd. in Truro Township east of Columbus, to commemorate the death of Jarrin Hickman, who had been killed there one year earlier.
Around 7:30 p.m., officials said a dark-colored SUV, possibly a Dodge Durango, drove by the vigil and someone inside the vehicle began firing gunshots into the crowd.
The sheriff’s office said 39-year old Latoya Carpenter was driving east on Chatterton Road passing the Dollar General when the shooting started. She was shot in the head and her vehicle crashed into a parked car. Carpenter was pronounced dead at the scene.
Five other people were struck, including the 12-year old, and were transported to local hospitals with minor injuries.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
- H.E.R Opens Up About Her Evolution As A Woman Ahead Of Tonight’s Urban One Honors: ‘I Decided To Just Be H.E.R’
- 10 Black Elected Officials Who Are Following In The Footsteps Of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Brooklyn’s Lost Black City Of Weeksville: A Hidden Gem Of Pre-Civil War Black Excellence
- JT And Yung Miami Are Twinning In Matching Dolce And Gabbana Looks
- Tia Mowry Trends On Social Media After Sharing An Intimate Instagram Post In The Name Of Self-Care
- Missy Elliot Pens A Heartfelt Instagram Message In Honor Of Aaliyah’s Birthday: ‘Your Spirit Lives On’
- King Family Leads Cross-Country Actions Demanding Senate End The Filibuster To Pass Voting Rights Legislation
- New Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin Unveils ‘Day One’ Executive Order Banning Critical Race Theory
- Chloe Bailey Serves Face On Instagram In A Diamond Encrusted Wig
- Tami Roman Debuts New Hair For The New Year: ‘New Year, New Doo’
One Person Dead, Several Others Shot at a Columbus Vigil was originally published on mycolumbusmagic.com