From China to Italy to the United States, the coronavirus is affections millions around the globe, with more than 115,000 infected and an estimated 3,000 dead worldwide.
It’s also impacting our economy, closing down festivals such as SXSW, canceling flights, postponing Coachella and even causing college students to stay home in their dorms and finish their semesters online. Now, the virus has its sights on the billion-dollar hair industry.
Recently reporters from WUSA9 talked to several D.C. and Maryland stylists and business owners who claim that it’s been difficult to have their bulk order demands met by vendors importing hair from China. One Black woman, Shannel Wallace, who runs District Cheveux, stressed that it’s become “harder” to get the hair she needs to meet her clients’ needs. She’s been waiting since January.
“I just never imagined coronavirus would affect me, being in the states,” she said. “Not directly as far as being sick, but my business.”
“Due to the coronavirus, and the measures taken to cut down on the virus in China, people aren’t allowed to go to, or really return to, work,” she said.
There have also been some questions about whether or not the hair from China is safe with Wallace telling WUS9 that her clients are afraid.”When they get their hair, [they question] is it going to be contaminated?” she said.
When you think about it, it’s a warranted question. Right now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have stated that it’s unlikely that the hair is can carry the virus.
“There is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures,” the CDC says on its website, adding, “Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets.”
As The Root’s Maiysha Kai pointed out, that while some may look at this development as shallow and frivolous given how serious coronavirus is, “it’s worth acknowledging that in the United States alone, hair imports from are an over-$1.5 billion hair industry” and that “Black women are both the industry’s primary clientele and increasingly its purveyors.”
Just something to think about.
BEAUTIES: How, if at all, has the coronavirus impacted your daily life?
Pixie Cuts, Puffs, Bantu Knots & Bundles: Ciara's Many Hairstyles
1. 2019 CFDA Fashion Awards- ArrivalsSource:Getty 1 of 39
2. CFDA Fashion Awards - ArrivalsSource:Getty 2 of 39
3. Celebrity Sightings In New York - May 10, 2019Source:Getty 3 of 39
4. Celebrity Sightings In New York City - May 10, 2019Source:Getty 4 of 39
5. The 2019 Met Gala Celebrating Camp: Notes on Fashion - Street SightingsSource:Getty 5 of 39
6. The 2019 Met Gala Celebrating Camp: Notes On Fashion - ArrivalsSource:Getty 6 of 39
7. The 2019 Met Gala Celebrating Camp: Notes On FashionSource:Getty 7 of 39
8. VH1's Annual "Dear Mama: A Love Letter To Mom" - ArrivalsSource:Getty 8 of 39
9. VH1's Annual "Dear Mama: A Love Letter To Mom" - ArrivalsSource:Getty 9 of 39
10. The Hollywood Reporter's Empowerment In Entertainment Event 2019Source:Getty 10 of 39
11. The Hollywood Reporter's Empowerment In Entertainment Event 2019Source:Getty 11 of 39
12. 2019 ESSENCE Beauty Carnival - Day 1Source:Getty 12 of 39
13. Ciara Visits Music ChoiceSource:Getty 13 of 39
14. Ciara Visits Music ChoiceSource:Getty 14 of 39
15. 8th Annual NFL Honors - ArrivalsSource:Getty 15 of 39
16. 8th Annual NFL Honors - ArrivalsSource:Getty 16 of 39
17. ABC's Coverage of Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest 2019Source:Getty 17 of 39
18. Street Style - New York City - December 2018Source:Getty 18 of 39
19. Street Style - New York City - December 2018Source:Getty 19 of 39
20. Celebrity Sightings In New York City - October 30, 2018Source:Getty 20 of 39
21. Celebrity Sightings In New York City - October 30, 2018Source:Getty 21 of 39
22. 2018 American Music AwardsSource:Getty 22 of 39
23. 2018 Black Girls Rock! - ArrivalsSource:Getty 23 of 39
24. 2018 Black Girls Rock! - ArrivalsSource:Getty 24 of 39
25. Vanity Fair Oscar PartySource:Getty 25 of 39
26. 2015 MTV Video Music AwardsSource:Getty 26 of 39
27. MTV Video Music Awards 2013 - ArrivalsSource:Getty 27 of 39
28. MTV Video Music Awards 2013 - ArrivalsSource:Getty 28 of 39
29. 2018 American Music Awards - Fixed ShowSource:Getty 29 of 39
30. Celebrity Sightings In Los Angeles - May 16, 2019Source:Getty 30 of 39
31. 2004 Vibe AwardsSource:Getty 31 of 39
32. Bvlgari Flagship Store Reopening In New YorkSource:Getty 32 of 39
33. 2016 American Music AwardsSource:Getty 33 of 39
34. amfAR Milano 2015 - Red CarpetSource:Getty 34 of 39
35. Revlon's Annual Philanthropic LuncheonSource:Getty 35 of 39
36. Warner Music Group's Annual GRAMMY Celebration - ArrivalsSource:Getty 36 of 39
37. Celebrity Sightings in New York City - October 19, 2016Source:Getty 37 of 39
38. CiaraSource:Getty 38 of 39
39. Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports Awards 2015 - ArrivalsSource:Getty 39 of 39
Bundles Bind: Is Coronavirus Causing A Weave Import Shortage From China? was originally published on hellobeautiful.com